National Education Message: We have confidence in our future.
“Every student must work hard and strive to their best in order to keep Singapore going, Singapore must be able to survive in the future and we have to be confident of what we are doing to help Singapore prosper. Singapore’s destiny lies in our hands, and we have to make its future bright and unwavering.”
One reason why I’ve chosen to participate in the Overseas Immersion Programme was to experience how a student lifestyle functions, apart from Singapore. Living in a hostel away from my family members and loved ones has taught me to cherish them because being around them too often had me taken them for granted. I had to learn to cope with doing daily household chores such as doing my own laundry and trying to keep the room clean. Basically, I just have to go about doing such things without the support of any domestic helper.
Since my first day here, I’ve noticed how the locals go about conducting their daily activities such as setting up their food stall and getting themselves prepared from school. The campus here is rather vast in size and we can see the locals playing sports (badminton, table tennis and basketball) the whole day. I suppose this is one way they can spend their time on fruitfully apart from studying. The students here have been very friendly and have also helped us to settle down in many ways. They made life here possible for us by bringing us around and showed us where the supermarket was (so that we can get our daily necessities), the various places whereby we can purchase the items and food that we need.
Although we only undertake two modules for the immersion programme, I can tell that my peers and I have not taken slack to the lessons. We attended class everyday and many had attempted to pay vivid attention to the respective lecturers. Take for example today, we had to submit our very first assignment and also did a presentation in front of our class. Many of us had worked hard for the presentation and in fact, we were rather nervous because we were used to present our work to lecturers whom have taught us before and with peers whom we were more familiar with. However this time, we had to present in front of the immersion peers. However nervous we were, we still went ahead with it and possibly even did a sufficient job. Confidence was one characteristic that made it possible for us to even step forward and conduct the presentation.
Hopefully from this trip, I would be able to elevate my confidence level. This programme has provided me with the opportunity to be able to study overseas and I will try not to take it for granted but attempt to excel in the modules. Singapore is a country that depends mainly on its people resources therefore each one of us should contribute by making our country proud and take our education seriously. So that we need not always depend on the foreign talents but instead, be able to depend on our own people.
No comments:
Post a Comment