Day 15, 170309!
We went to Wuhan Gang Tie Qi Ye (武汉钢铁企业). It is the third largest steel making factory in China. There are about 30 000-40 000 people living at the factory. It's the addition of the factory workers and their family members. Basically we went to the factory and walked the aisle and watched how steel was made. The processes were rather engrossing.
Firstly, they made use of iron ore to melt with limestone at 2000 degree celsius. But iron ore is too soft so we need to add alloy such as carbon to harden it. After that, there was the quenching process to harden the steel. At this point in time, the steel is still considered brittle and from belt to belt, the steel gets heated up and then cool down again. The material gets transported from conveyor to conveyor and during which, the conveyor requires oil to lubricate the steel movement and water was used to wash off the oil and impurities (throughout the processes and the temperature held is about 800-900 degree celsius). Everytime water was used, smoke could be seen. Oh the iron block is about 1.7m wide and 350mm thick (I think). Right from the start, the iron ore was heated up so it red in color and at then, it was still considered soft so the machine was able to compress the material and shape it. As the material under went each conveyor, the material moulds to become thinner. And at the end of the process, it will become black in color and very thin, thin enough to roll it into coil form.
The Chinese are very proud of this steel making because in other countries, they would require high usage of manpower and in the factory, the sound was extremely deafening (what with the quenching nosies and all) and when the iron ore passed by us, woah the heat was strong enough to make us perspire for the first time since we arrived. So companies elsewhere other than China would have to spend a lot just to make steel but in China, they gained in productivity because they decreased their manpower from 1000+ to 100+ people but making use of conveyor belts and machines to operate the processes. The production cost is cheap and even the steel gets exported to Japan! They produce approximately 300 blocks a day. Hopefully I've managed to get all this information right when Mr Wong was elaborating.
Okay yes, I was talking about my elder brother. He will be flighting down from Beijing on Friday to look for me here in Wuhan! Because I told him I missed home so he said "Okay, I'll bring home to you. I'll be your one day home." Okay I know I have a very good brother. Don't envy me, haha! So if all goes well, he will be down on Friday. Hmm, test in the morning.. Although it's open book , I doubt it will be easy. Oh yeah. I'm planning of attaching myself to a company that I've work with before last time. But it's still early for me to plan now since my attachment is in the second semester. Will take things slow.
TIME TO WASH UP!! So late already. GOODNIGHT!
No comments:
Post a Comment