The end of school term is almost round the corner. Next week marks the closure of my IS module: World Issues: A Singapore Perspective (WISP). Every Wednesday, I would head to school for a mere 2 hours of lesson. Considering the fact that my teacher is rather young as compared to the older lecturers in Ngee Ann (hence, not so mundane character) and he also managed to grasp our attention with the acts he would come up with, which in turn made the 2 hours much enjoyable. The most memorable period of the module would be the initial classes whereby we were made to play games to interact with my classmates. I remember thinking that this teacher was too silly (making us play those goofy games) but then again, I enjoyed them to a certain extent. I recall making a fool out of myself, incidentally calling a guy cute.
Subsequently crawling into the weeks, the classmates of my course were envious of me because we could play games and watch videos to pass time in my class. Instead, they had to listen to their boring teachers nag about WISP. Obviously, the games and videos could relate to the topic for the day. The most memorable video would be “Men of Honor”. We split the show period within 2 lessons. As a matter of fact, I couldn’t wait for the next lesson because I wanted to know the ending. Super anti-climax when my teacher ended the video halfway: “Tune in to the second part next week!” Punch line for this show – not to be racist. This American Black (Carl Brashear) aspired to be the first black Master Diver in Navy history. It was a rather heart whirling phase as Carl faced discrimination from his White skinned color peers and chief. Even though he faced many obstacles such as being handicapped, he continued to persist given his determination as well as the support from his family and friends. The many events which took place in the movie made me realized how strong one can be even though he was pressured to give up his ultimate goal. The movie was so convincing that it made me dislike the whites for a moment. Then again, in reality, we ought to know what’s right from wrong. I feel that racism is something that can never be erased for eternity. Honestly speaking, I would never understand how one can generate such deep rooted hatred towards another race. Personally, I feel that it all boils down to the maturity of oneself.
I received the results of my first assignment not long ago and I was rather disappointed as it was not a grade up to my expectations. After the evaluation by my lecturer, I’ve realized that I probably did not include detailed explanation on my given statements. This would be one area which I can improve on, in my future works.
Moving onto Unit 2: Conflicts around the World, I managed to gather some very astonishing facts with regard to Singapore’s military force (not advisable to display them here). We attended a tour to the Officer Cadet School just last week. It was pretty obvious that OCS is the best training school amongst the rest therefore it is understandable that the school dispatched us there. I found everything there and then quite just a cover of the book. The bunks were extremely neat and the cadets were on their best behaviors. We would never know the contents of their secrets if we had not known people from the army. Just another ploy of the school promoting the military to our boys. Thinking back, we had this session whereby three speakers came to our school to give us a talk on their brave acts throughout their lives. And again, the three guys were speaking about events which they experienced from the military force.
Is WISP a module just dedicated to boost the morale of Singapore’s military or was it just so coincidental that such events happen to relate to the military? It would probably be the combination of both if there weren’t the inclusion of the racism and discrimination topic.
Out of all the IS modules which I have attended, this is the best thus far! (We got to interact much more than usual and not forgetting to indulge in reminiscence, getting to go on an excursion to OCS). Thank goodness the IS module ended my poly life with such a fine conclusion.
Tagline: History is made by those who break the rules.
No comments:
Post a Comment